TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brocail re-signs with Astros

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Brocail re-signs with Astros Empty Brocail re-signs with Astros Tue 02 Dec 2008, 11:38 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

HOUSTON -- Doug Brocail wasn't surprised or upset when the Astros declined to offer him arbitration, because before Monday's deadline, he already had a deal in place with the team for 2009.
On Tuesday, it became official. Brocail, who appeared in a career-high 72 games last season, re-signed with the Astros, agreeing to a one-year deal worth $2.5 million, plus incentives.
The deal also includes a club option for 2010 worth $2.85 million, plus incentives, with a provision that allows the club to buy out the option at $250,000.
"It's nice," Brocail said. "They know that I wanted to pitch at home. At times, it made negotiations tough on both ends. It was a long process. I'm elated. Hopefully, they are, too."
Negotiations with Brocail began soon after the season ended. The Astros quickly declined to exercise a $3.25 million option, but they expressed a desire to bring him back at a lower rate. Brocail, disappointed at the time, said he too had hopes he could return to the Astros, but at a fair price.
"With the way I pitched, I thought when they called me [in October] that basically they were guaranteeing the option would be picked up," Brocail said. "But they still wanted to negotiate. It was a long negotiating process. It was frustrating at times. It's good to hear they wanted me back."
"In a perfect world, we would have gotten things done two or three days after not picking up the option," general manager Ed Wade said. "Some of these things take a long time. If the end result is that everyone is satisfied, then mission accomplished, whether it's in a short time frame or extended time frame."
Brocail, 41, was 7-5 with a 3.93 ERA in 2008. His 64 strikeouts were his most since a career-high 78 in 1999. The right-hander, who has a history of heart trouble, said he had to take a cardiovascular physical and an orthopedic physical, both of which he passed Monday.
Brocail re-signs with Astros Include
"We're very pleased to have Doug back for 2009," said Wade. "We had certain expectations when we signed Doug a year ago, and he met or exceeded every one of them. His presence on the mound, in the bullpen and in the clubhouse exudes professionalism and the competitive fire that championship teams need."
Brocail, a 14-year veteran, has a career record of 51-48 with a 3.99 ERA and nine saves in 606 career games.
Brocail's signing eliminates the Astros from considering re-signing Russ Springer. Houston had expressed interest in Springer and could have made an offer, but that option no longer exists.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum