TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brewers Tab Randolph as New Bench Coach

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Brewers Tab Randolph as New Bench Coach Empty Brewers Tab Randolph as New Bench Coach Sat 08 Nov 2008, 10:55 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers were looking for experience in their bench coach, and they found it in one of their managerial candidates.
Former Mets manager Willie Randolph, one of three finalists for the managerial vacancy eventually filled by Ken Macha, on Saturday was named Macha's bench coach. It was the team's second coaching appointment in as many days -- Bill Castro was elevated to pitching coach on Friday, and it left the bullpen coach as Milwaukee's only vacancy.

Randolph said he spoke with Macha the morning after the Brewers made their managerial choice, simply to offer congratulations. Four hours later, Macha called with the bench-coach offer.

"It surprised me, too," Randolph said. "He had what you call a brainstorm, I guess."

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Randolph he will be free to interview for managerial openings as they become available. Randolph has already been mentioned as a possibility for Seattle's vacancy.

"I didn't really want to wait around," Randolph said. "If I get a job that will put me in the manager's seat any time in my tenure, I could do that. It was nice that Doug left that as an option."

Randolph, 54, played for the Brewers in 1991, ranking second in the American League that season with a .424 on-base percentage, and twice has interviewed to manage the team. He was among five candidates for the job that went to Ned Yost in October 2002, then interviewed again this year, along with Macha and former D-backs skipper Bob Brenly. Macha got the job on Oct. 30.

Macha told the Brewers' flagship radio station several days ago that he was close to naming his bench coach. Macha previewed his pick as a successful former skipper with knowledge of the National League.

Randolph was a six-time All-Star during an 18-year Major League playing career and was a Yankees base and bench coach for 11 seasons before he managed the Mets for parts of four seasons beginning in 2005. New York was the winningest team in the NL during that span, but Randolph was dismissed on June 17, 2008, a few hours after a Mets loss to the Angels. The team was off to a disappointing 34-35 start.

Randolph also was reportedly offered a coaching position with the Washington Nationals this offseason, but he declined. He replaces as Brewers bench coach Dale Sveum, who finished last season as Milwaukee's interim manager and will return in 2009 as the hitting coach.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum