TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yanks, Pettitte playing waiting game

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Yanks, Pettitte playing waiting game Empty Yanks, Pettitte playing waiting game Sat 08 Nov 2008, 10:47 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

NEW YORK -- There is nothing more that Andy Pettitte can do. When Pettitte declared earlier this week that he intended to play baseball next season, he did his best to send a few winks and nudges in the direction of the Yankees.
But the Yankees have yet to respond. And Pettitte isn't sure what to think.

"I think I've made it perfectly clear what my intentions are," Pettitte said, "and where I would like to play baseball at. Other than that, we'll have to see what happens."

Pettitte, speaking Friday evening at Joe Torre's annual Safe at Home Foundation Gala, said that neither he nor his agent, Randy Hendricks, have heard from the Yankees since he told a Houston television station that he planned on returning for his 15th big league season.

One rumor at this week's General Managers Meetings in Dana Point, Calif., indicated that the Yankees would only re-sign Pettitte if he accepted a one-year deal at less than the $16 million he made last season -- but Pettitte insisted on Friday that such numbers weren't a problem. He's only seeking a one-year deal, he said, and dollar amounts haven't crossed his mind.

"I would vomito to hear if they want me back or not," Pettitte said. "I'm not even thinking money. I haven't had an offer."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said prior to Torre's gala that the Yankees have had internal discussions regarding Pettitte, despite their outward silence.

"I know Andy wants to come back, and we're interested in bringing Andy back," Girardi said. "Andy's been a mainstay here for a long time, and we believe that he still has good baseball in him."

What's clear is that as long as Pettitte remains in limbo, the Yankees have two rather conspicuous holes to fill in their rotation. They haven't heard back from Mike Mussina -- Pettitte hasn't heard from him, either -- and they still have roughly a week before they can talk money with free agents from other teams.

When the filing period ends next Thursday, however, the Yankees will undoubtedly start talking. Some of them have even done so already.

Derek Jeter, also in attendance at Torre's gala, said he recently spoke on the phone with CC Sabathia, widely considered to be the top free-agent starter available. Sabathia picked Jeter's brain on life in New York, providing the most tangible evidence yet that he is at least considering a jump to the Yankees.

"He asked questions about it," Jeter said, smiling. "We'll leave it at that."

And Jeter gave him answers, though not he didn't expect that to have much influence on Sabathia's final decision.

"I don't ever try to sell New York," Jeter said. "I'm there if someone wants to ask me questions, but I really don't think you have to sell the organization. Everyone understands what comes along with playing here -- you're expected to win."

That's what the Yankees didn't do in 2008 -- at least not to the extent that they wanted. Injuries and inexperience undermined them almost constantly, and they're well aware that Sabathia would ease a great many of those worries heading into 2009.

"There are a lot of teams that can envision him [in their rotations]," Girardi said. "I will take anyone that wants to sign up."

Girardi does have two key players already signed up, ready to make healthy returns to the roster. Catcher Jorge Posada, whose season ended in July when he opted for surgery to repair his right shoulder, said he expected to be at full strength even before Spring Training. And closer Mariano Rivera, who underwent shoulder surgery of his own last month, said he expected to be throwing by the end of January.

"I'm right where I want to be," Rivera said.

Which means that the most pressing questions will continue to surround the rotation -- who's in it, who's not, and who might join between now and February.

On the red carpet of Torre's gala in Manhattan, answers were sparse. Pettitte hasn't heard from the Yankees, the Yankees haven't heard from Mussina, and they're not yet allowed to formally talk to free agents. All of which means that the Hot Stove is likely to smolder for quite a bit longer before the 2009 Yankees even begin to take shape.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum