TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blue Jays pick up option on Barajas

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Blue Jays pick up option on Barajas Empty Blue Jays pick up option on Barajas Sun 02 Nov 2008, 11:51 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

TORONTO -- The Blue Jays handed Rod Barajas the starting job behind the plate last season and will bring him back in the same role for 2009. On Friday, Toronto exercised Barajas' club option to keep him in the fold next year.
Barajas, 33, is scheduled to make $2.5 million in '09 as Toronto's No. 1 catcher. The Blue Jays might still be in the market for a backup catcher this offseason, though the club may look within in order to fill that role.

"Rod did a good job for us," Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said at the end of the season. "We're comfortable with Rod. We think we've got some internal guys that might be ready to help from a backup standpoint.

"It might be an area where we look around and see if there is an upgrade there, but we're pretty happy with our catching situation right now."

For much of the past five seasons, Gregg Zaun had served as Toronto's top option behind the plate. Zaun lost that job to Barajas during the 2008 campaign and the 37-year-old catcher is a free agent this offseason. The Jays may want a veteran backup, but it's uncertain if Zaun will return.

Barajas, who inked a one-year deal worth $1.2 million with the Blue Jays last winter, finished the 2008 season hitting .249 with 11 home runs, 49 RBIs, a .294 on-base percentage and a .410 slugging percentage over 104 games. Barajas seized the starter's job after Zaun landed on the disabled list with a right elbow injury in May.

From May 27-June 28, Barajas breathed some life into a struggling Toronto offense by hitting .304 with three homers and 13 RBIs in a 24-game span. During that period, the catcher reached base at a .368 clip and posted a .532 slugging percentage. Zaun returned on June 15, but saw limited action over the remainder of the year.

At the end of the season, Zaun said he wouldn't necessarily be against coming back as a backup.

"I've got a lot of things to think about," Zaun said at the time. "Obviously, if they don't want me back it's a moot point. But I'll listen to anything they have to say to me. ... I would have to ask myself, 'How competitive are they really going to be? Are these guys going to come back from injuries? Are we going to be a better team next year?'

"If the Jays want to talk to me about coming back here to be a No. 2 or some other role, who knows? Obviously I would be flattered and listen to anything they have to say. I haven't ruled it out."

If the Blue Jays decide to solve the backup role internally, the club might consider 25-year-old Curtis Thigpen, along with catching prospects J.P. Arencibia and Brian Jeroloman, for the job.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum