TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aceves in Rasner out

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Aceves in Rasner out Empty Aceves in Rasner out Sat 06 Sep 2008, 1:43 am

Kevlar

Kevlar
Admin
Admin

SEATTLE -- Alfredo Aceves gave the Yankees their longest relief outing of the season on Thursday. They liked what they saw so much, he'll join their rotation for the next turn.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi confirmed that the 25-year-old right-hander will take Darrell Rasner's spot on Tuesday against the Angels in Anaheim, a game that will mark Aceves' first big league start.

"Aceves threw the ball extremely well last night," Girardi said. "He wasn't as sharp as I think he'll be his next turn, because he's not used to coming out of the bullpen in the middle of an inning and not having his normal side work. I think he'll be even sharper."

Rasner recorded only four outs, and he was charged with five runs in a start on Thursday against the Rays at Tropicana Field. Since his last win on July 12, Rasner is 0-3 with a 6.16 ERA, and said he was "ashamed" and "embarrassed" by the latest outing, stopping by Girardi's office after the game to apologize.

"I know from Ras, the effort is always there," Girardi said. "I don't worry. The kid has got a lot of heart. I said, 'No need to do that, because I know that you're doing everything that you can.'"

Girardi said that Rasner will be available in relief beginning for Saturday's game against the Mariners at Safeco Field. He threw only 43 pitches in the start in St. Petersburg before being lifted.

Aceves was a fast mover through the Yankees' system after being signed as a Minor League free agent on March 10 out of the Mexican League, where he had most recently pitched for Monterrey. Promoted to the big leagues on Aug. 28, Aceves was 8-6 with a 2.62 ERA in 25 games (23 starts) at Class A Tampa, Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

"We thought when we signed him that we could move quick, and he has," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

https://ttnept.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum