TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 2007 World Series

3 posters

Who's Going to win the 2008 World Series?

The 2007 World Series I_vote_lcap100%The 2007 World Series I_vote_rcap 100% [ 3 ]
The 2007 World Series I_vote_lcap0%The 2007 World Series I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The 2007 World Series Empty The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 2:33 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

Talk about the 2007 World Series here!

Slate wiped clean for Fall Classic
Impressive streaks won't help Series combatants

BOSTON -- When it comes to the World Series, forget about the momentum. Think about the moment.

Everything that has happened before is somewhere beyond the Green Monster now. It can be recalled, it can be revisited, but it no longer counts in a real-world way.

The Colorado Rockies have won 10 in a row and 21 of their last 22? That is why they are here now, good for them, congratulations, way to go, terrific job, but it won't mean anything in Game 1 of the World Series.

Colorado has the fourth-longest winning streak of any team reaching the World Series. What happened to the three teams with longer winning streaks? Two of them lost.

Those teams were the 1971 Baltimore Orioles, who had won 14 in a row, and even more pointedly, the 1960 New York BASEBALL GODS, who had won 15 in a row. Both lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates, proving conclusively that neither Bill Mazeroski nor Roberto Clemente was troubled in the least by opponents with imposing streaks.

The Red Sox have been the show in the last week, coming back from a 3-1 deficit in the American League Championship Series and outscoring a good Cleveland team, 30-5, in the process. This also will mean nothing on Wednesday night when the Series opens at Fenway Park. Even the World Series rookies know this.

"It's 0-0 now," Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia said on Tuesday. "We're playing a whole new team. Everything's new. It's the World Series, it's not the American League Championship Series. It doesn't matter what you did in the past. Everything's back to zero."

If the previous momentum doesn't hold water, theories about reverse momentum don't mean much, either. The Rockies will have to go eight days without playing an actual baseball game. This does not necessarily mean that they are doomed.

"I don't think there's a lot of us who are worried about it," said Jeff Francis, Colorado's Game 1 starter. "Yeah, we've had time off, but if you think about it, probably a good time of the year to have some time off."

Or, as Rockies manager Clint Hurdle put it: "We haven't given the layoff a lot of power, a lot of emphasis. We will not apologize for winning quickly."

If momentum is overrated, at this time of the year previous reputation and name recognition can be positively misleading. If reputation meant that much, the New York BASEBALL GODS would win the World Series every year. But they don't.

The Red Sox, partly on the basis of being an operation much more familiar to the general public, are big favorites. But so far this postseason, the BASEBALL GODS and the Cubs were big favorites, too, and where are they now? The correct answer is probably "playing golf," but let us not generalize. The point is, the perception of somebody being the favorite is an arbitrary perception.

"I don't care about the perception," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "Just to make this really clear: If I were betting on it, I would care; I'm not."

Usually, the combination of baseball and betting on the World Series is not exactly a guaranteed laugh producer. But major laughter followed Francona's remark, which was good, because it indicated that the reportorial audience understood that this was not 1919 and that these were not the Black Sox.

"I know we're trying to keep cursing to a minimum and betting out of it," Francona added to more laughter.

So, momentum is out and reputation is gone. Also, comparisons to other teams in efforts to gauge the actual worth of the two Series teams need not apply. In fact, when they do attempt to apply, they should be laughed out of the area.

At one point on Tuesday in the Red Sox clubhouse, Pedroia was actually asked if the Rockies reminded him of the 2001 New England Patriots.

"Did they tackle well, was that their deal?" Pedroia asked, pleasantly mystified about why he should know anything at all about the 2001 Patriots, much less how that team could possibly have any bearing on the quality of the 2007 Colorado Rockies.

It all changes right now for the Rockies and the Red Sox. The past might be interesting. It might even be fascinating, what with the Rockies on a tear of historical proportions and the Red Sox staging another remarkable Championship Series comeback. But the past is still prologue.

After all of the comparisons are weighed, dissected and subjected to much more public analysis than the 2008 presidential campaign, this is what will matter much more:

Which guy pitches better in Game 1, Josh Beckett or Jeff Francis?

This is the World Series, the pinnacle of baseball. When mountain climbers are attempting to scale Mount Everest, they aren't discussing who looked the best at base camp, are they?

The World Series provides its own kind of rarified atmosphere. And now we get to see who is good enough, poised enough, single-minded enough to relax, take a deep breath and write some Fall Classic history. The only moments that count in his endeavor begin with Game 1 of the 2007 World Series. The rest of it, at this point, is all talk and recollection, pleasant enough but not particularly telling.

2The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 2:36 pm

detigersfan06

detigersfan06
Admin
Admin

GO ROCKIES GO!!!

3The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 2:39 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

It should say "2007," in the poll. Anyone that's an admin/mod please change it!

4The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 3:38 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

Oh, the Places Tulowitzki and Torrealba Won't Go!

With apologies to Dr. Seuss...

The 2007 World Series Bdd_so10

Rox
Sox
Sox on Fox Rox on Fox
Sox on Fox
Rox vs. Sox on Fox
Sox vs. Rox on Fox
Sox vs. Rox in Coors Bandbox

Sox have Jocks
Rox have Jocks
Jocks in Field or Batter's Box
Jocks with Money Box of Stocks
Papi strong as Wild Ox

Fox ex-Jocks sit in Press Box
Listen to Tim McCarver's Vox!
The insanity he Talks and Squawks
Joe Buck oughtta clean his Clocks

Rox beat Sox
Sox beat Rox

No one claims the games are Locks
And on some wood a Nation Knocks
But if the Rox Outfox the Sox
Or Gagne Walks or Beckett Balks
It surely would cause Mocks and Shocks
Requiring Whiskey on the Rocks

... and then, as Manny says, there will always be next year ... -- Mark Stebbins, 10.24.07

5The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 4:06 pm

littlelady

littlelady
Red Sox
Red Sox

lol bob thats really good!

6The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 5:40 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

I didn't write it, I found it on the net. The title is a link to where I found it.

7The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 5:46 pm

littlelady

littlelady
Red Sox
Red Sox

oh okay, but it was still funny! lol

8The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 9:48 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

Nobody knows how to change the year in the poll?

9The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 10:06 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

Censore Red Sox in game 1 - inning 1!

10The 2007 World Series Empty Re: The 2007 World Series Wed 24 Oct 2007, 11:36 pm

bobrob2004

bobrob2004

Censore RED SOX! Censore Censore Censore

The 2007 World Series Angry-smiley-196 RED SOX! rant :1430:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum