TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pudge OK After Collision At Plate

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pudge OK After Collision At Plate Empty Pudge OK After Collision At Plate Thu 07 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

ARLINGTON -- After Wednesday's game against the Rangers, a small statue of a baseball player was knocked over on manager Joe Girardi's desk in the visiting manager's office at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.
The statue fell to the ground, breaking off one of its legs.
"That's what happened to Pudge!" Girardi exclaimed, referring to the injury Ivan Rodriguez suffered in the second inning of Wednesday's game.
However, Girardi was a little off on his diagnosis. While the statue came way with a dismembered left leg, Rodriguez suffered a deep bruise to his right knee. The Yankees' starting catcher is listed as day-to-day.
"He's got a little bruise above the right knee, but I don't expect it to be a problem," Girardi said. "Pudge could start tomorrow if he needs to."
According to Rodriguez, he should be back behind the plate by Friday in Los Angeles at the latest.
"I should miss just a couple of days," Rodriguez said. "This one got me good."
The injury occurred in the bottom of the second inning while Rodriguez was behind the plate.
With David Murphy on second base, Ian Kinsler singled to right field. Bobby Abreu fielded the ball and threw home as Murphy rounded third. Abreu's throw beat Murphy to the plate and Murphy slid feet first into Rodriguez's shin guards.
"He couldn't do anything," Rodriguez said. "I was blocking the plate."
Rodriguez held onto the ball for the final out in the inning, but both players remained on the ground for some time before they were able to walk under their own power.
Murphy stayed in the game for an inning, but Rodriguez was not able to bat the next inning when his spot came up in the order. Jose Molina took his place in the lineup. Rodriguez was seen limping from the dugout toward the tunnel to the visiting clubhouse.
"I was a little bit concerned," Rodriguez said. "To be honest, I don't know how I ran to the dugout. When I sat down on the bench, I couldn't stand up. I thought it was bad when I couldn't stand up."
But Rodriguez actually came away in better shape than Murphy. While Rodriguez may be back in the lineup as soon as Thursday, Murphy is headed to the disabled list with a strained posterior cruciate ligament -- plus a black eye he took from the collision.
Still, Rodriguez said this was one of the harder hits he's taken at the plate during his 18-year career.
"To put myself out of the game, it's got to be painful," Rodriguez said. "I had no strength. My knee was weak. I've been hit harder, but it was a hard hit to the knee with his knee, so it was knee on knee."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum