TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rehabbing Matsui increases workload

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rehabbing Matsui increases workload Empty Rehabbing Matsui increases workload Wed 30 Jul 2008, 9:17 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

NEW YORK -- Yankees left fielder Hideki Matsui took 25 swings off a tee and 10 soft tosses Wednesday in his continuing rehabilitation from his injured left knee.
Matsui, on the disabled list since June 27, said through a translator that he felt good during the session. It was a small increase in workload after he took 20 swings off a tee and five soft tosses before Monday night's series opener against the Orioles.
Matsui didn't work out Tuesday, and said that was the medical staff's decision. Manager Joe Girardi said Matsui will stay with the team this week, and Matsui said he doesn't know the details of this week's workload, but he will add more to it "little by little."
Matsui had declined surgery on his inflamed knee in an attempt to return this season. The knee has caused recurring inflammation since mid-June.
"As we increase the workload and exercise more --- as long as there are no problems -- then I think it's just going to increase the chances of me coming back this season," Matsui said.
Matsui was used more as a designated hitter before being placed on the DL, and he would likely return in that role if he came back this season.
With the recent addition of Xavier Nady, the Yankees have even more options at the DH slot, so there isn't such a rush to bring Matsui back.
"I think it's a no-brainer for the team to make an effort to make the team stronger," Matsui said. "So how it impacts me, we'll just have to see. For me, it's something that I keep in the back of my head."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]