TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Williams satisfied as free agency opens

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Williams satisfied as free agency opens Empty Williams satisfied as free agency opens Sun 16 Nov 2008, 11:25 pm

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

CHICAGO - Major League Baseball's free-agency period officially began at 11:01 p.m. CT on Thursday night, meaning the exclusive negotiating window between teams and their respective free agents had closed.
For the White Sox, the chance for these players to now sign with any club didn't put the slightest sort of crimp into their offseason plans or outlook for 2009 and beyond.
Shortstop Orlando Cabrera, third baseman Joe Crede, relief pitcher Horacio Ramirez and infielder Juan Uribe all filed for free agency, while the White Sox declined respective club options on outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. and catcher Toby Hall. Both Griffey and Hall then filed for free agency.
Of these six players, the White Sox did not intend on bringing any back.
Uribe, a most popular and entertaining clubhouse figure since he arrived via trade from Colorado prior to the 2004 season, could have emerged as an option later in this process if he couldn't find a starting job elsewhere. That possibility was erased on Thursday, when the White Sox acquired utility infielder Wilson Betemit as part of the return package from the Yankees for outfielder/first baseman Nick Swisher.
In fact, White Sox general manager Ken Williams presented a bit of a free-agent farewell address during a Thursday conference call to discuss the Swisher deal.
"You know, I haven't thought a lot about Juan recently," Williams said. "He's a quality player, and before he's ready to commit to such a thing [returning to the White Sox as a utility player], I think he's going to try to find a home where he can get more extended playing time than with us.
"I can tell you this much. I will always remember guys like Juan Uribe and guys like Joe Crede, who helped us win a championship. I have great respect for them, fond memories, and I'm wishing them well.
"At this point, we need to turn the page," said Williams, referring to his free agents' departure.
Hall, who did a solid job backing up starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski in 2008, expressed a desire to return to the White Sox at a reduced salary from his declined $2.25 club option. Instead, Hall's two-year run in Chicago comes to an end, with injuries preventing him from playing to his full capabilities. The White Sox will look for a backup with handling the pitching staff as the top priority.
"He was a great asset, in particular in the clubhouse and handling our staff," said Williams of Hall. "I vomito Toby, but I think we are going to look in a different direction."
Williams satisfied as free agency opens Include
Team free-agent reports
Choose Your TeamAL East • Baltimore Orioles • Boston Red Sox • New York Yankees • Tampa Bay Rays • Toronto Blue Jays AL Central • Cleveland Indians • Chicago White Sox • Detroit Kitty's • Kansas City Royals • Minnesota Twins AL West • Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim • Oakland Athletics • Seattle Mariners • Texas Rangers NL East • Atlanta Braves • Florida Marlins • New York Mets • Philadelphia Phillies • Washington Nationals NL Central • Chicago Cubs • Cincinnati Reds • Houston Astros • Milwaukee Brewers • Pittsburgh Pirates • St. Louis Cardinals NL West • Arizona Diamondbacks • Colorado Rockies • Los Angeles Dodgers • San Diego Padres • San Francisco Giants
Hot Stove MLBlog
Hot Stove Tracker

Ultimately, the White Sox are more likely to tweak the roster or re-adjust the team's on-field look through trades, as opposed to free agency. Williams has the option to continue to mix in young talent with proven veterans such as Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome, with a healthy Josh Fields presently in place at third base and the combinations of Chris Getz and Jayson Nix in play at second and Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens and Dewayne Wise fighting it out in center.
Williams also seems more than satisfied with his starting rotation, bolstered Thursday by the addition of Jeff Marquez to compete with Clayton Richard at fifth starter. But Williams' offseason work is far from settled.
Just as Williams didn't have to work his own free agents into the White Sox roster equation, he won't concern himself with the escalating salaries for big-name outside free agents as he tries to build another champion.
"I'm not concerned with the market at large," William said. "I'm more concerned with were we fit with each individual club. The market as a whole, in our situation, doesn't affect us.
"Everything is a big deal right now. It's only Nov. 13, so I'll continue on and try to put the best team together and explore all possibilities."

DanLovesErin

DanLovesErin

i just hope that we sign orlando hudson to handle third and put Chris Getz at third. it would be a good infeild

Konerko-1b
Hudson-2B
Ramirez-SS
Getz-3B

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum