TTNEPT/ADK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friends, talk, baseball, Yankees, ADK

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pettitte files for free agency

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pettitte files for free agency Empty Pettitte files for free agency Mon 10 Nov 2008, 1:01 am

Sarah

Sarah
Admin
Admin

NEW YORK -- Though Andy Pettitte has admitted his designs on pitching next season, there's doubt as to whether or not the Yankees want him back. The only certainty is that if Pettitte wants to pitch elsewhere, he can -- he ensured that much by officially filing for free agency on Sunday.
Though Pettitte indicated on Friday that he has "made it perfectly clear" where he wants to play next year, the Yankees have still not contacted either Pettitte or his agent.
A report released Thursday in Newsday stated that the Yankees would only consider bringing back Pettitte if he agreed to a one-year deal worth less than the $16 million the team paid him last season. And that came just two days after Pettitte told Houston's KRIV-TV that he "would like to play again" for the Yankees.
"He has decided to pitch," Pettitte's agent, Randy Hendricks, confirmed in an email to MLB.com later that night.
It's a decision that came as little surprise, considering the sentiments that Pettitte shared throughout the latter half of this season. Though he seriously mulled retirement after each of the previous two seasons, Pettitte hinted this year that his renewed health, along with a desire to play in the new Yankee Stadium, would certainly play a role in his decision.
"You look at the ballpark over there, and I would vomito to do it," Pettitte acknowledged at season's end. "I've got some things that I need to weigh over and figure out. Hopefully, I can come to a conclusion pretty quick and figure out what I want to do."
Now, however, the decision is out of Pettitte's hands. The Yankees have reason to be wary of a pitcher whose ERA jumped from 4.05 in 2007 to 4.54 in 2008, and who lost a career-high 14 games this season. Pettitte's strikeout rate actually increased and his walk rate decreased from last year to this year -- both typically solid indicators of a pitcher's success -- but his bottom-line results seemed to stall.
He finished with a 14-14 record to go along with that 4.54 ERA in 204 innings, marking his fourth straight 200-inning season. For his career, Pettitte is 215-127 with a 3.89 ERA over 11 seasons with the Yankees and three with the Astros.
Pettitte files for free agency Include
Despite his relative lack of success, Pettitte was still the team's most consistent starting pitcher outside of Mike Mussina, who also spent much of the season mulling retirement. Unlike Pettitte, Mussina has not indicated whether or not he would like to pitch next year, further complicating the team's plans.
The Yankees have through Thursday to exclusively negotiate with Pettitte, before the league's free agency filing period ends and all other clubs can discuss financial details with him. With that deadline now merely days away, the Yankees might soon risk alienating a pitcher who has already declared his intentions.
"I think my family has fallen back in vomito with New York again, being back up here," Pettitte said at season's end. "We bought a house, and I think my wife and kids are extremely comfortable up there. Things are different than I thought."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum